Cutting Corners


Cutting Corners
May 2020

The scraps bins have really been a lifesaver these past few months of safer at home. I’ve made a good dent on my yellows (stay tuned for my next post for this one), my black/grey/white, and now my blues. I am also participating in Jacquelynne Steves Silver Linings QAL (quilt along) that started a couple of weeks ago and I will be making two baby quilts with the completed blocks: one in a pink colorway and one in a blue, using fabric from my scraps bins. There is still time to join her quilt along here.

There are so many pieces of the past fabric in this one, which is usually the case when I dig in on the scraps bins! The jump-off fabric that informed my design direction is the larger border of blue and red/burgandy flowers (blast from the past quiz for my daughters to see if they remember where I had used this back in the late 80’s). Of note, there are fabrics from both Edith (the red/burgandy) and from Granny (the edge binding). I used the same method for building the blocks as I did for Ziggy, using dryer sheets as the foundation. This time I trimmed the dryer sheets to squares as opposed to leaving them rectangular. My sewing room always smells so good when I am using used dryer sheets as foundation 🙂

I had two names I considered for this quanket: this, and Infinity Mirrors. While a ‘cutting corners’ behavior is generally not considered desirable, I think that sometimes the efficiencies gained by cutting a corner outweigh what was “cut” in the cutting of that corner. What do you think?

This will be donated to the County of Ventura, Children & Family Services for a child in foster care.

To the Point


To the Point
May 2020

During the past two months of staying safe at home, I’ve depleted quite a bit of my stash fabric on quilts and facemasks. Thank goodness my scraps bins are still plentiful, especially the black, white and grey scraps bin – which is still packed pretty tight even after making the 336 half square triangles for this quanket. A few years back, I made Flamingo Floyd based on a quilt I had seen in a magazine. I wanted to try something similar with this, but in my own design. My daughter said this has an Escher look to it – I’ll take that as a compliment! 🙂

The choice for the name To the Point should be apparent. I also like that this name is somewhat opposite in meaning to my last quilt, Monkeying Around. However, I still did a fair amount of monkeying around with designing this quilt 😉

This will be donated to the County of Ventura, Children & Family Services for a child in foster care.