This quanket is a Prairie Flower block pattern. Jenny over at the Missouri Star Quilt Company has a great tutorial on YouTube if you are interested in giving this design a try.
It’s always such fun to see how fabric choice and placement can drastically affect the look of a design. Jenny’s quilt has a very modern vibe to it, and you certainly get the sense that they are flowers. However, I quickly found that this pattern can create a strong X design when using the same fabric for each block, which I only noticed as I started getting my finished blocks onto my design wall. And since I was using strong colors in my colorway, it seemed to make the X’s stand out quite a bit, which I felt detracted from the “flower” aspect. Instead of going back to square one, literally, I decided to stick with the fabrics I had chosen, but to alter the fabric placement in every other block to help break the X’s.
The fabric I pulled from my stash to represent a piece of the past is the floral that is in the border and flowers, which I inherited from Edith. I suspect she had planned to make a dress with it, as there were, and still are, several yards of this fabric in my stash! I then pulled in yellow, red and blue to complement the colors in the floral.
This was donated to the County of Ventura, Children & Family Services, for a child in foster care in December 2018.